Sunday, August 21, 2022

Let's Talk Disney!

What more can you say about Disney, but it’s magical.  A three-day banking conference turned into a mini vacation for me and the kiddos.  When in Orlando, you must visit an amusement park.  We decided to do Hollywood Studios.   From the moment we got to the park to the time we left it was nothing but fun and excitement.  There were times of crankiness but for all the cranky moments we double in moments of happiness and laughter.  Here are some of my tips and tricks for surviving a day at Disney.

The most important thing is to study the park map.  Knowing how to navigate through the park will save you time and hassle.  Make sure to pack a bag with snacks, beverages, and sunscreen.  Get yourself a nice cooler backpack to keep your drinks nice a cold.  Sunscreen is so important in the summer in Florida.  Take it from the one who didn’t pack any and got burnt.  Hats are important because it will protect your head and face. 

Once you have studied the map the next step is to plan your day.  Don’t forget to add rest times for your kiddos, they will need the downtime to regenerate and get the energy to keep going.  I highly recommend that you invest in the Genie +/lightning passes.  This will save you time waiting for rides and from unhappy children. 



Disney App/Disney Genie +

You will have to download the Disney app in order to get access to the Genie+ and lighting passes.  The app will also organize your day and give you estimated ride times.  The park map can also be found on the Disney app.  The app is not the easiest to navigate through, so I suggest you study and learn the app before you visit the park.  You can purchase the Genie+/lighting passes at 12 am on the day of your visit, and yes, I did wake up to get these passes.  It will cost you $15.00 per person but so worth. 

Once you have purchased your Genie+ passes, you can start reserving rides once the park opens, and then every two hours after that up to three times. What I mean by this, is once you have booked your first lighting pass ride you will have to wait two hours to book your next ride. Choose wisely, because you are only allowed 3 reservations.  I had set my timer every two hours so; I would not miss a chance to book a ride.  Things are a little different for pass holders and those staying in a Disney resort.  This applies to those who are one day passes and not staying in a Disney resort. You can do a lot with the Disney app, so make sure you get familiar with it. 

 Our Favorite Rides and Game Plan

Here was my game plan for getting on the most popular rides.  As soon we were allowed to enter the park, my kids and I sprinted to the Star Wars:  Rise of the Resistance ride.  Once we got into the line, I booked our first lightning pass which was Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railroad.  Lightning passes for the Resistance ride was sold out before we even go into the park.  It was a 120 minute but so worth it.  I played “heads up” with my kiddos while waiting and the time passed by quickly. 

Once we were off the ride it was time to book our next ride which was the Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run.  In between Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railroad and the Smugglers Run ride, we waited in line for the Slinky Dog Dash ride in Toy Story Land.  Again, another long wait but worth it.  While waiting in line I was able to book another lightning pass which was Toy Story Mania.  We finished our day with the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular Show.  


Food and Snacks

If you want to save money, then pack sandwiches and snacks.  I choose to have lunch at the park.  While waiting in line to get into the park, I put in a mobile food order for Woody’s Lunch Box.  Super cool feature and you don’t have to wait in line.  This is done through the Disney app and there are multiple restaurants that offer this feature.  I found a place underneath an umbrella where we could sit and have lunch. 

You must try the Milk Stand at Galaxy’s Edge.  Blue or green milk for a nice treat. Tastes like cotton candy and your kiddos will find in amusing.  For the adults, you can add booze to it and trust me you will need it after waiting in line the for the Rise of the Resistance.  The Star Wars inspired popcorn is also amazing.  Do try the Galactic Coffee drink in Galaxy’s Edge.  A delicious cold brew with a twist.  Add Godiva liquor for a nice adult beverage.




Disney Extra’s

I surprise my boys with the making of their own droids.  The droid depot was an amazing experience.  My boys got to pick their pieces to make their own specialized droid.  Once they pick all the pieces, and with the help of a cast member, they put their droids together.  Once it was all put together, they programed the remote control to each droid.  The coolest thing about the droids are how they interact to each other and how realistic they are.  If you have the change to do it, I highly recommend it.  It does cost a $100 but it was money spent well.  I highly recommend doing this toward the end of the day, so you are not stuck carrying a box with a droid in it.   I have to say, I have never had a bad day at Disney.  Hollywood Studios is now my favorite park among all Disney parks.  We will be going back!

     







 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Talk Disney!

What more can you say about Disney, but it’s magical.  A three-day banking conference turned into a mini vacation for me and the kiddos.  Wh...